Saturday, October 31, 2009

Digital Sketches 10/28-10/30

I spoke to Michael on Wednesday and he gave me some really great insight into the anatomical images I've been generating incorporating the "void". At this point in my project, the "void" has come to represent the symbol of cultural and historical notions of the purpose of the female body, which has mostly centered around her ability to reproduce. The "void" therefore, represents a lack of function and purpose when the female body is not producing or reproducing. So, I've come to understand this "void" as a symbol and metaphor in and of itself, not an accurate portrayal of female anatomy but instead an incredibly present cultural construct of the female body.

With that being said, Michael observed that I've let the rest of my sketches, that frame the "void" that I've been drawing, become too abstract. My concept states that this "void", which symbolizes a specific part of female anatomy is situated within familiar aspects of human anatomy (musculature, kidneys, bones, basically, anatomy features that are shared by men and women). I've been working on more accurate sketches of anatomy in order to truly show the juxtaposition between concept and content, unbiased understanding and confusion etc.






No comments:

Post a Comment