Friday, March 26, 2010

Caitlin

Being raised by two doctors, my views of the human body had no choice but to be strongly influenced. At an early age I asked my mother if she had ever had to stick her fingers in her patients "lower orifices", to my third-grader mind's disgust she answered yes. At that point I thought my parents respectable professions deemed them perverts, touching strangers bodies in what I viewed as very intimate ways. However, my mother explained herself as follows:
Caitlin, a doctor working with people's private parts is like a mechanic working under the hood of a car....and there's nothing particularly disgusting or sexy about the under side of a car. It's all machinery, there is a way things work and a way they don't, our job is to ensure everything is functioning properly.

To think of our bodies as one of the amazing machines that has ever existed is how I choose to view it. The vagina and reproductive system as whole is just one of incredible systems within that machine, especially in its capability to affected by others -orgasms and pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment