Monday, January 18, 2010

What I'm Thinking About Now...

My end of semester critique was incredibly helpful and very...centering? I received some really good feedback, including the observation that at the end of the semester last year, I kind of dropped the idea of the void...or at least stopped trying to figure out what it could represent in a contemporary context. The other really helpful bit of feedback I received was to make sure that the video component of my project was necessary. I needed to introduce an aspect to my projections that actually required video to capture the "performance".

So, here is how I've taken those critiques:
1) As opposed to the historical notion promoted by the 18th century anatomical models, that insisted that a woman's importance rested in her ability to reproduce (as seen when one removed the baby from her abdomen exposing "the void"), contemporary culture promotes a very different idea of the reality of reproduction. In order to translate the significance of reproduction, I have been thinking a lot about it's meaning to me. If I got pregnant today or tomorrow, my life would change significantly...but definitely not for the best, as perhaps a woman living in the 18th century would think. My life would change in the following ways: 1) my future goals: (which include possibly traveling or maybe going back to school would be edited. I would have to support and provide a stable environment for my child. 2) my current lifestyle: not that I don't take care of my body, but my primary concern would have to be for the health of the child, not my impulsive, rather self-serving lifestyle as a college student... no social drinking, definitely no smoking of any kind (which isn't a problem, really), sex would also be either out of the question or irregular...not to mention my body would completely change. No thank you. So, I guess what I realized is that in a contemporary context, reproduction actually can take away power or agency for a certain group of women who are in my same situation (students, young adults, young professionals etc). While the "void" in the past represented a negative absence, I gladly adopt the notion that my reproductive organs will go unused. If the anatomical porcelain dolls promoted the idea that filling the "void" with a baby brought women purpose, power and social significance as "life givers", I can adopt the same idea and fill my "void" with what I find to be significant, important and relevant. While at one point in time having a baby brought women social status or certain opportunities and recognition, today, for many women choosing to not have a baby her womb grants her different opportunities. It is interesting to think about the significance not filling the "void" with a baby is for different people, what does that absence mean for different women?

This question seemed incredibly pertinent. So, I decided to explore the meaning of the "void" on both a personal and interpersonal level...I have started to ask people who I consider to be part of this subculture what they would put in their "void". So now, the "void" has started to change in size and shape based on what is deemed significant by my contemporaries.

Part Two: How to make video and performance more relevant in my projections
One resolution to the static nature of my projections is animation as a way to promote the idea of interactivity and continual presence of these differing images and ideas about "the void" for different people. A really helpful critique I received from my panel was the lack of activity or interaction my projections called for, which completely defeats the conceptual purpose of this exploration. I can see this idea expanding to incorporating movement and multiple figures at some point but for now I need to experiment with the animations (some of which I've been posting for a few weeks). The projections I've created thus far have had more to do with my own ideas about the "void". I've realized the way I think about the absence of these sex organs or using them is less serious, the imagery is a bit whimsical, actually. I guess to me, the space of the "void" would be better occupied with random, light-hearted, even disconnected or confusing imagery. Perhaps the notion of freedom and complete control over my own body is also present in my animations. I'm really interested to see what other people would fill this this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment